Friday 28 March 2014

How To: Messy Bun (Thin Hair)

Earlier in the week I asked on social media if you would like a 'How To' messy bun tutorial and I got a good response, so here it is.





After watching many YouTube videos on how to create a messy bun, I couldn't find one that worked for my hair type. I have very thin, flat hair and not a lot of it. So I decided to try out my own thing to create a messy bun, to make my hair look thicker and fuller.


This hair style works best on day two hair as it has more texture and hold to it.



To create this style you will need the following;


Hair band (doesn't matter what colour as you won't see it)
Bobby pins
Hair spray
A hair brush or comb






STEP ONE
Style your hair into a high pony tail. It's up to you how high you want your pony tail. The higher the pony tail the more of your bun you will see. I like mine so I can just see the top of the pony tail when I look in the mirror. At this stage I like to give my roots some volume, so I pull on sections of hair at the roots to loosen up the pony tail and give it volume. If you prefer a more sleek messy bun then you can skip this step.

STEP TWO
Taking your pony tail and starting at the base, back comb the hair until you are happy with the volume you have created. The more you back comb, the bigger and fuller your messy bun will look. 

STEP THREE
Under roll the ends of your hair up towards the base of your pony tail and pin to secure. It will look like the photos above. Now taking the hair either side of the gap at the front, pull the hair together and pin. This will cover the hair band that you can see and also give you a bun shape. 

STEP FOUR
Keep pulling the hair round and pinning until you are happy with your bun shape. Then to finish off set with hair spray and your done!

This style takes me less than five minutes to create.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and found it very helpful. Let me know of you have a go at creating this look. I would love to see photos.



Until next time
xoxo


4 comments:

  1. This is fab, thanks, I also have thin hair and thought I could never really do a bun because it looked silly so I'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes a bit of practice but it's worth it. My buns used to just look so silly and small. Now they are big and messy :) glad you found this post helpful. Would love to see a photo of how you get on

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial! I really need to perfect my 'messy bun' skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much. Hope you find it helpful when perfecting

      Delete